[Supernatural] Getting Through Hellatus - Episode Contest

Have fun with a selection of television and movie based forum games.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [Supernatural] Getting Through Hellatus - Episode Contes

Postby Dahne on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:39 am

New link for sixth episode poll is up:

For me the toughest vote so far was the fifth episode because I liked them all. I ended up saying no to Bedtime Stories even though it had a great premise and an even better ending. If it were the 6th episode it would have been the winner for me. Fallen Idols got my much better than I thought it would be vote with its witty banter on fame in America, but killer Abe Lincolns are no teddy bear doctors so no dice on this one. I think Bloody Mary is a great episode but the cheesy special effects and Japanese horror film rip off took it out of the running. In the end it came down to the two overall favorites - Simon Said and Monster Movie. Monster Movie had great directing and was unique to any TV episode ever. I love old movies so it has a place in my heart. Also, Jamie rocked and there was a good balance of action to humor although there was a little too much exposition for me. If it had been the 4th or 6th episode, it would have my vote hands down. The only thing it didn't have was Andy Gallagher. He's one of my favorite recurring guest stars and as such won the vote for Simon Said from me. I loved the pacing, humor, action, and fact that it was Sam jumping to conclusions this time. Andy rocks and my vote goes with him although it hurts to have to vote any of the sixth episodes in over Monster Movie.
Dahne
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Mia494 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Episode 5 poll was hard for me too, but for different reasons - because I wasn't crazy about any of those episodes, they were ok for me, but not mindblowing. Out of all fifth episodes, I really liked Bedtime Stories, but ended up voting for Bloody Mary because it was so horror-like (that's what I loved about SPN the most in the first place). Fallen idols wasn't too exciting for me, not the best MOTW they've hunted. Simon Said was cool, but I'm not the biggest fan of the "Sam and other children like him" storyline. I liked the idea of Monster Movie, but again, what I really love about SPN is the scaryness, so that's why I went for Bloody Mary ;)

As for sixth episodes, I voted for Red Sky at Morning. I don't really remember Skin (guilty), No Exit was out of the running for me, because no episode with Jo in it is able to get my vote :P Yellow Fever was funny, but there were better comedy episodes in SPN and I didn't really like the idea of scarying a ghost to death... I liked I Believe the Children Are Our Future, I just loved the kid, Jesse, he was so sweet, but I wish they wouldn't have brought a creature that powerful just to make him disappear and not be brought back ever again. I would've loved if they used Jesse once again in the season, for example to help Sam and Dean with sth and then be killed by sth evil... Red Sky at Morning was great because it had everything needed: a ghost to hunt and mystery to solve, some great humour and Bela to deal with for the boys ;)
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:41 pm

I think I Believe the Children are Our Future should have been called I Believe This Episode is Pointless. One of the few times SPN dropped the ball on a plot line. Why even introduce an antiChrist if he isn't going to matter in the mytharc? I chose Skin because that one had the best ramifications for me. I loved how the brothers were on the run from both evil and the law. It also set up the entrance of Henrickson, one of my favorite characters. It does lose points for excessive gore but it has great snark and it's the first episode to really delve into Dean's feelings about the life he lives and Sam.

My biggest problem with No Exit is that the Jo in my head is far better than the Jo that was written. Also, I hated Ellen. Ellen didn't grow on me until after she was only on the show 1-2 times a season. Hunter Ellen is so much better than Overprotective, Bossy, Nosy Ellen. Yellow Fever had a lame plot. I realize it was a comedy episode but the scaring the ghost thing didn't work for me either Mia. It doesn't even rank in the top ten humor episodes for me.

It's nice to see another person who didn't hate Bela. I found her snarky and much more tolerable than Ruby 1.0. Still, Red Sky at Morning had another lame plot and it all seemed contrived to fulfill fanfiction fantasies of getting the Winchesters in tuxes. The "Don't objectify me" line was hilarious but not so much the rest of the writing. The old lady and Sam subplot was just annoying.

Link for seventh episode:

Dahne
Show Expert

Postby spngirl89 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Deciding between the 7th epsiodes is the hardest one up until now, and it's onlu because none of them are my favorites:p I guess I would have to say that all of them have something that makes them good, but I can't really make up my mind about which one I want to give my vote to:p I'm gonna have to rewatch the episodes and get back to this:p If anyone feels like trying to convince me I'm open to hearing some new persepctives on the episodes:p
Dean: "It's like we got a contract on us. You think it's 'cause we're so awesome? I think it's 'cause it's we're so awesome."

Jen: Well, actually, since farmers don't keep roosters, the eggs aren't fertilized, so techically you're just eating a byproduct of the hen's menstrual cycle.
Priestly: Well, that- that's certainly appetizing, a hen-period-salad, that's lovely.
spngirl89
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:55 pm

I found it hard too for the same reason. The only two I considered were Fresh Blood and The Curious Case of Dean Winchester. In the end I went with the later because I hated that Gordon was killed off. He's one of my favorite guest characters and I wished they had left his storyline more open. Plus The Curious Case had some great Bobby scenes in them and I love all scenes where Bobby and Dean lay it on the line to each other.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:34 pm

I also only considered two of the seventh episodes - Fresh Blood and It's the Great Pumpkin. I eventually went for Fresh Blood, because I really loved the atmosphere in this episode, the angst, the tension, connected with some great brotherly moments between Sam and Dean. The talk about Dean being scared and the scene with Dean teaching Sam how to fix the Impala were very emotional, heartbreaking and great. I also loved the vampire storyline, with the boys being forced to kill previously innocent people who became vampires by accident. And then loved, loved that they made Gordon a vampire instead of just having him killed by one. And Sam killing him almost bare-handed. I mean, after considering it for a longer while, I've come to the conclusion it was actually an awesome episode.

I also considered It's the Great Pumpkin, because I liked how they made Sam disappointed with the angels ("you're supposed to show mercy" aww, that sweet, innocent Sam and his faith :wub: ). I also really liked the early Castiel, the tough soldier, but in this episode he showed also beginnings of emotion and doubt. As much as I hate Uriel, it was cool having him in the series, so here's another plus of the epi. I also liked the breaking-the-seals storyline, it made me think of the future and if Lilith was gonna set Lucifer free and what would happen then. And well, in general I liked Sam and Dean dealing with witches :P

So yeah, that's basically it. The Curious case might have had some great Dean-Bobby moments, but in general I found it boring.
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:57 am

Dean showing Sam how to fix the Impala was absolutely awesome and my favorite scene in that episode. I just didn't care for the plot much.

If you haven't seen at the beginning, the eighth episode poll is found here and ends 6:30 Central Standard Time (USA) on Monday:

My vote came down to A Very Supernatural Christmas and Changing Channels, although I also liked Crossroad Blues for its start of the mytharc and Wishful Thinking for its creativity. No other show on the planet can pull off teddy bear doctors! Another example of 2 shows I would have voted for if they had been in different weeks. The less said about Bugs the better - a truly terrible episode!

Changing Channels is the funniest episode that SPN has ever had in my opinion. But what makes it truly a great is the reveal at the end. I haven't been more surprised by SPN since the Impala crashed at the end of the season 1 finale. I love the Trickster character which made the big reveal even better. Also, it set up the symmetry of the whole season and made a smooth transition for everything that happened in previous seasons. Plus any episode that skewers David Caruso and the cast of Grey's is a win for me. It's in my Top 25 Episodes list.

In the end though, I voted for A Very Supernatural Christmas. Part of it is the nostalgia of growing up in the late seventies and eighties and remembering those truly bad after school specials and special episodes. They had the opening exactly right. Mostly, though is the humor and guest actors. No line has ever made me laugh as much as "If you fudgin' touch me again, I'll fudgin' kill you." I was distracted by the gore by my laughter. Changing Channels has nothing on the one-liners in this one. Still, it's Merrilynn Gann that makes it the winner for me. I loved her as Rose Abbott on Everwood and to see her play a mockery of that character on SPN was perfect casting. Her evil reigning in the banal suburb life makes it my top vote this week and puts it firmly in my Top 25 Episodes list too.
Last edited by Dahne on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:48 pm

It's definitely Changing Channels for me - I mean, they managed to make a good parody of some well known tv shows, the references were really clever, funny and entertaining, but at the same time, there was a parody of Supernatural inside Supernatural which I find really creative and special. It made us laugh really hard and still managed to put in a serious Apocalypse storyline twist (not that I loved the fact the Trickster was Gabriel so much, but it was still pretty unexpected). I also loved what he said about Sam and Dean having always been destined to it and showed them their similarities to Lucifer and Micheal (loved the lines: "This isn't about a war, it's about two brothers who loved each other and betrayed each other", "as it is in heaven, so it has to be on earth - one brother has to kill the other" and "this is about you being too afraid to stand up to your family"). I mean the whole talk with Gabe was pretty awesome ;) as for funny one liners, how about "Mr Trickster does not like pretty boy angels"? I loved that one :rofl:
but just to precise, I don't think ChCh is the funniest episode of spn ever - for me Bad Day at Black Rock still is :D
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:32 am

Bad Day at Black Rock is second on my funniest episodes list. "I lost my shoe." is my favorite Sam line of all.

Link for the ninth episode vote here:

Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:17 pm

oh my, this is a tough one... so many good ones among the ninth... i mean, I'm seriously gonna need to think about for a while.

I don't really remember Home that well, but I do remember it was moving and heartbreaking. I always loved the dynamic between Dean and John, especially in the early Supernatural. Croatoan is among my favourite episodes ever. It was mysterious, scary, kept us in suspense. I loved the way they used the Roanoke missing colony story and turned it perfectly into the Supernatural world. I loved the hopelessness of their situation and struggles when they were to kill people, not demons. Sam being infected by the virus and wanting to kill himself was as great as Dean not letting him or anyone do it and Sam eventually turning out immune. Truly a superb episode. Malleus Maleficarum was also very good, very powerful and as I already said, I like episodes with witchcraft involved. Ruby saving Dean and then telling him she remembered being human really made me believe once again that she was a positive character, so here's to the writers. The disclosure that all demons were once humans was quite surprising and tragic for me as well. I also liked I Know What You Did Last Summer - I really liked Anna most when she was believed to be just an innocent girl. It was also very exciting to wait and see who she really was, why she heard angels talking and why the demons wanted her so bad. The first appearance of Alastair is a huge advantage of this episode as well. The Real Ghostbusters is probably the weakest of the ninth episodes, but its competition is really strong. I know some people think it was useless, but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

Well, I think I'm gonna go for Croatoan eventually. My second choice would be I Know What You Did Last Summer, but I think I'm just gonna vote for the second part of the two-episode arc, Heaven and Hell, in the next poll :P
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 am

Link to tenth episode poll:

Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:21 am

Link for eleventh episode here:

x
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 am

Link for twelfth episode:

Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 pm

eleventh and twelfth episodes are such easy picks... of course it's Mystery Spot and Jus in Bello, what else would it be? :D and surprisingly both from season 3, which many people claim to have been the weak one...
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:49 pm

It took a while for me to decide on the 12th poll. In the end I decided that Nightshifter and Jus in Bello cancelled each other out. Both of them were great episodes in which a character I loved died. I hate when SPN does that to me. I went with Faith. It was the first great character reversal in the show with Sam taking the lead and a vulnerable Dean. It started a dialogue on faith that becomes crucial in the last 2 seasons and begins the reaper mythology. Mostly though I like it because we get into the heart of being Dean Winchester. Plus, John sucks big time again so it solidified my hatred of that character.

Link to 13th episode:

Dahne
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to TV/Movie Games