31 Days of Oscar 2011

General discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

31 Days of Oscar 2011

Postby Thefrogwhisperer on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:00 pm

It's back again this year. One of the best events for the classic film fan.

Every year, Turner Classic Movies celebrates Academy Awards legacy with a sampling of Oscar nominated and Oscar winning films throughout the history of Hollywood, and this year is no exception.

The Black Swan(the swashbuckler) and the Snows of Kilimanjaro are two of the films they are airing today. I have admittedly seen neither but I plan on catching them. The event has been patently awesome so far, with TCM having aired such classics as Citizen Kane and Funny Girl.

One of the perks of working for a marketing company that is doing some campaigning for turner is that I got a decent sized list around the office of all the films they would be showing this month, so I will be able to plan accordingly lol.

I really loved seeing Citizen Kane again, it's variation of William Randolph Hearst, Charles Kane was both a tragic and polarizing character who was really made to shine by the performance of Orson Welles, the film's director.

his is one I will never forget as this is actually the gateway film that got me into classics as a film category. I watched this in a cinema course at college and I was blown away by the sheer emotions of the film itself.

Check out the website for the event here:
31 Days of Oscar

Let's get this thread going talking about the classics you watched this week(on the event or off) and your impressions of them, first viewing or 40th.

Here is the list of films:
http://turnerinfluencernetwork.com/tcm/ ... s_2011.pdf
Thefrogwhisperer
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: 31 Days of Oscar 2011

Postby Thefrogwhisperer on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Tonight Amadeus is debuting @ 10pm followed by 1991's Thelma and Louise. Neither I have seen but have heard much about.

Amadeus itself won 40 awards during it's original run, 6 of which were oscars. I am going to take the opportunity to check this out tonight onTCM's 31 days of Oscar.

Has anyone seen this one before? I have seen bits and pieces over the years but never in it's entirety, I'll fix that tonight.
Thefrogwhisperer
Viewer

Return to Movies - General