If Fringe gets canceled...

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

If Fringe gets canceled...

Postby LockeUp on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:15 am

Does anyone have any idea if another station could/would pick it up again? I'd hope ABC or someone would.
LockeUp
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: If Fringe gets canceled...

Postby skywalker14 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 am

I think SyFy might but I'm not sure. I think The CW picking it up is unlikely but would be a smart move for them. It would really lower the expectations for Fringe. I mean if Fringe got the viewers it did last week on the CW it would be a HUGE win for the CW. But that's not realistic. Figure in that they lose quite a bit of viewers when switching networks I still think it would be pretty good for The CW. That being said I don't think anyone likes the idea of Fringe being forced to switch networks.
skywalker14
Viewer

Postby cassopeia on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 am

skywalker14 wrote:I think SyFy might but I'm not sure. I think The CW picking it up is unlikely but would be a smart move for them. It would really lower the expectations for Fringe. I mean if Fringe got the viewers it did last week on the CW it would be a HUGE win for the CW. But that's not realistic. Figure in that they lose quite a bit of viewers when switching networks I still think it would be pretty good for The CW. That being said I don't think anyone likes the idea of Fringe being forced to switch networks.

The advantage of the CW would be that WB owns part of the network and Fringe is a WB show. I wonder if Fringe wouldn't be too expensive for the SyFy channel.... :hmm:
cassopeia
Viewer

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Well I read a few articles from the past couple of days in which Fox execs pretty much say that if they cancel any of the few shows they are looking at, (FRINGE, LIE TO ME, and HUMAN TARGET) then they think many other networks would likely want to pick them up.

Now maybe they are just saying that because they don't want us to freak out :lol: --But I would think someone would pick up FRINGE and Human Target.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Did you guys see the article I posted in the other cancellation thread ("bad day for a Fringe fan?") A major factor is the amount of money Warner charges FOX to buy the show. FOX might accept lower ratings if the show is less expensive to keep on the air. Also, if Fringe can go a 4th season, it will have enough episodes to go into syndication, which is a huge incentive for Warner to lower the cost and make sure FOX keeps it on, so they can get to that magic 100th episode.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby clydefamous on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Honestly I don't know much about the whole Fringe cancellation thing, or what Fox is gonna do, but the way I look at it (If I'm correct) the last couple of shows that got cancelled and picked up by someone else was Damages (picked up by DirecTv) and Medium (picked up by CBS, which is now gone). As for SyFy, well they're coming off cancelling SGU and Caprica, so if Fox cancels Fringe, nobody is picking it up. I really hope I'm wrong :]

To understand everything is to forgive everything --Siddharta

Follow me on Twitter!
clydefamous
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 pm

clydefamous wrote:Honestly I don't know much about the whole Fringe cancellation thing, or what Fox is gonna do, but the way I look at it (If I'm correct) the last couple of shows that got cancelled and picked up by someone else was Damages (picked up by DirecTv) and Medium (picked up by CBS, which is now gone). As for SyFy, well they're coming off cancelling SGU and Caprica, so if Fox cancels Fringe, nobody is picking it up. I really hope I'm wrong :]

I think there are more options than that. Next year all networks are coming out with new shows that are either sci-fi or of fantasy genre...so I think the genres are growing.

But Supermodel, makes the best point. :thumbup: --Warner Bros would have big opportunity to make out of they can be syndicated!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby LockeUp on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
clydefamous wrote:Honestly I don't know much about the whole Fringe cancellation thing, or what Fox is gonna do, but the way I look at it (If I'm correct) the last couple of shows that got cancelled and picked up by someone else was Damages (picked up by DirecTv) and Medium (picked up by CBS, which is now gone). As for SyFy, well they're coming off cancelling SGU and Caprica, so if Fox cancels Fringe, nobody is picking it up. I really hope I'm wrong :]

I think there are more options than that. Next year all networks are coming out with new shows that are either sci-fi or of fantasy genre...so I think the genres are growing.

But Supermodel, makes the best point. :thumbup: --Warner Bros would have big opportunity to make out of they can be syndicated!

Yeah syndication would be huge. I would also be semi-ok with having it end after the 4th season. Having it picked up again for that and then making the season really well written knowing it's the last one with an epic ending would be alright with me. :thumbup:
LockeUp
Viewer

Postby supermodel on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Once again, a lot of people think it will come down to Fringe vs. Lie to Me vs. Human Target. They can't all be renewed, FOX has new shows in the pipeline and they need to make room. While Lie to Me generally gets higher ratings, Fringe draws better with the coveted 18-34 age group, the group most highly sought by advertisers. So ever with lower overall ratings Fringe could be worth more to the network.

At this point, I think it's anybody's guess...
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Lockes disciple on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 pm

I wonder what the move to a different network would mean in terms of production value. I don't know much about television production, but it seems that a more "prestigious" network like Fox would spend more money to produce an episode of Fringe as opposed to Syfy or some other lesser known cable network. I'd assume that (may) mean lower salaries for the actors, lower production budgets, etc which would, in all likelihood, affect the show's narrative.

It brings to mind the unfortunate situation with Caprica. I really enjoyed the story, but the low-budget production meant the special effects and CGI was pretty ridiculous. The story was interesting but it was at times difficult to not be distracted by the rather corny CGI cylons.

It's too bad that science fiction shows tend to not draw the larger audiences and thus are more risky and networks are forced to cancel those shows because of economic concerns. Fringe reminds me so much of The X-Files. I'm sure any X-Files fan would agree. The format, mythology, writing, etc, is pretty much spot on with X-Files and X-Files had huge ratings and went for 9 seasons! What is it that drew so many people to The X-Files, that Fringe doesn't have? And why did the novelty wear off with Fringe? Season 1 was getting 9-11 million viewers... and now we're down to just over 3 million?

The writing hasn't gotten worse. The acting hasn't gotten worse. The narrative hasn't gotten worse. What is it that made so many fans abandon the show? Were they all just watching because it was JJ Abrams' new show and once the novelty of that wore off they switched to something new? Or is it because Fringe, being on a major network, didn't give the obligatory sex appeal needed to capture most viewers? Should Olivia have been more seductive and the cases involved more nudity, and sexual situations in order to appeal to viewers?

I'm frustrated because I think there's a market for good science fiction shows like Fringe. It's sad that interesting science fiction mythology and complex sci-fi narratives tend to get either canceled or pushed onto cable networks with lower budgets and deemed "Cult hits."

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Lockes disciple wrote:I wonder what the move to a different network would mean in terms of production value. I don't know much about television production, but it seems that a more "prestigious" network like Fox would spend more money to produce an episode of Fringe as opposed to Syfy or some other lesser known cable network. I'd assume that (may) mean lower salaries for the actors, lower production budgets, etc which would, in all likelihood, affect the show's narrative.

It brings to mind the unfortunate situation with Caprica. I really enjoyed the story, but the low-budget production meant the special effects and CGI was pretty ridiculous. The story was interesting but it was at times difficult to not be distracted by the rather corny CGI cylons.

It's too bad that science fiction shows tend to not draw the larger audiences and thus are more risky and networks are forced to cancel those shows because of economic concerns. Fringe reminds me so much of The X-Files. I'm sure any X-Files fan would agree. The format, mythology, writing, etc, is pretty much spot on with X-Files and X-Files had huge ratings and went for 9 seasons! What is it that drew so many people to The X-Files, that Fringe doesn't have? And why did the novelty wear off with Fringe? Season 1 was getting 9-11 million viewers... and now we're down to just over 3 million? The writing hasn't gotten worse. The acting hasn't gotten worse. The narrative hasn't gotten worse. What is it that made so many fans abandon the show? Were they all just watching because it was JJ Abrams' new show and once the novelty of wore off they switched to something new? Or is it because Fringe, being on a major network, didn't give the obligatory sex appeal needed to capture most viewers? Should Olivia have been more seductive and the cases involved more nudity, and sexual situations in order to appeal to viewers?

I'm frustrated because I think there's a market for good science fiction shows like Fringe. It's sad that interesting science fiction mythology and complex sci-fi narratives tend to get either canceled or pushed onto cable networks with lower budgets and deemed "Cult hits."

Part of me thinks LOST's finale may have also caused a dent. I keep running into people who are really ticked off about "the light" being too fantastical for any kind of an explanation, or that they can't find their own concrete answers, and so they feel they have been taken for a ride and don't want to get involved with anything that's well, involving.

Caprica I thinked suffered because by the time all the things were in place to really tie parallels to characters and events to Battlestar, which Ron Moore suggested would be the case prior to the second half of the season, Sci-Fi was like, we're done...

Same for Undercovers...Abrams announced @ episode 6 that the format was going to change, that he wants it to be like his other shows: character driven, bigger story arch, mythology and told viewers to hold on because those changes were coming with in a few more episodes...two days after this announcement NBC announces cancellation!

I just think the average viewer doesn't like to really think about things...that they watch TV to get away from their lives instead of being reminded of it and a lot of the modern Sci-fi stuff is about the human condition and presents a lot of insightful, but very hard things for people to consider. I for one am the opposite, I like to watch things that engages me to think and reminds me that we are all people going through things...

On op of it I think this economy has made it hard for networks to give shows that need time, time and so many go way too soon.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Lockes disciple on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Interesting, Darth-Rockstar. I'm with you 100%, in that I prefer watching shows with philosophical and science fiction subject matter. Obviously all television shows are designed to provoke some sort of response; a lot of people are hypnotized by good looking people, sex appeal, machismo, sensationalism, controversy, etc. For example, why was Baywatch so successful? It had very thin storylines and nothing but huge breasted women running around in the sun on the beach... well, that's why: it had nothing but huge breasted women running around in the sun on the beach.

I think X-Files tapped into the idea of mistrust of the government and the suspicion/hope of UFO's and aliens and that was the appeal. People love thinking about the possibility of aliens and conspiracies. Mystery and intrigue sells.

I wonder, though, if Fringe would've been more successfully (ratings wise) if they had have taken a more mysterious approach ala Lost. Perhaps more of a slow burn? If it wasn't outright revealed that there are agents of another universe pursuing them, and strange technology? Maybe more of a "what if this were the case" type approach? Like the way Lost sort of just hinted that there was larger, perhaps divine, forces at work but never revealed them until late in season 6.

I'm not saying I haven't thoroughly enjoyed Fringe. I just wish it wasn't on the chopping block. There is a need for shows like Fringe, like there was a need for shows like X-Files and Twilight Zone.

Meanwhile, I guess introverts and science fiction lovers will have to stick to reading authors like Philip K. Dick, Stanislaw Lem and Jorge Luis Borges.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby supermodel on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 pm

it seems that a more "prestigious" network like Fox would spend more money to produce an episode of Fringe as opposed to Syfy or some other lesser known cable network. I'd assume that (may) mean lower salaries for the actors, lower production budgets, etc which would, in all likelihood, affect the show's narrative.

That's not really an issue, as FOX does not produce the show and neither would Syfy. Fringe is produced by Warner Brothers Studios, and FOX pays them a few to show the episodes. If any netwrok is not willing to pay a few that is acceptable to WB, they don't get the show. I am not sure why, but I doubt WB would be willing to compromise the production values just to keept he show on the air. It would be easier to cancel thos show and produce something else that somebody wants to buy.

You can't compare Fringe to the X Files, at least not ratings-wise. The X Files aired during a different time; it went off the air in 2002, long before the proliferation of quality cable shows and long before audiences became so fragmented. There were basically still only about five networks back then. And still, the X Files did not get huge ratings. Although the numbers were bigger than Fringe's, they were not big for their time. It was never in the top ten and only for four seasons was it in the top 30. With that said, I agree with everything you guys said about it being a landmark show, that it fit a need and found an audience, etc.

With regard to your remarks about Lost .. I think one thing that's becoming obvious is that audiences are not responding to complex serialized prgrams, and in the audience's defense it is difficult for new viewers to engage after the first two seasons or so. Lost saw it's numbers decline year after year, and look at the recent graveyard of similar genre shows: Undercovers, The Event, Persons Unknown, Happytown, Caprica, and on and on. Right now, audiences are into procedurals and reality.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Lockes disciple on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Well, there you go supermodel. I wasn't aware of the exact process of television production, but what you've explained makes sense.

I'm sure it's true that the market for television was much different 15 years ago during X-Files' run. According to wikipedia the ratings for X-Files was averaging about 10 million viewers, even as high as 17 million at one point. Plus, the show went for 9 seasons and I would consider that to be indicative that it was a hit show. Furthermore, I don't think X-Files was ever in danger of being cancelled the way Fringe seems to be. But, as you said, I'm sure the industry was different back then. I don't doubt that X-Files wasn't the biggest show on television, but it was certainly a hit, spawned a spin-off, two movies, and launched the careers of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

I agree that procedurals and reality seem to be the big thing now... much to my chagrin.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby WJames on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:54 pm

I agree that procedurals and reality seem to be the big thing now.

You Americanos are strange people...

It's crappy that we from the rest of the world have to rely on you people to keep quality shows on the air, especially when most of you would rather watch six versions of CSI and Law and Order rather then Fringe or similar quality shows. Thank God for blossoming of the cable shows who don't demand massive live audience to be kept alive.

p.s. I didn't mean anything of the above as an offense to USA, just that the best TV comes from you, but at the same time you have a nasty habit of killing that same quality TV prematurely in favor of no brainer type of shows.
WJames
Guest Star

Next

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]